Yes. Because the MRI machine uses a strong magnetic field, which will move objects made with iron or steel, let your doctor know if you have:
- A pacemaker
- Aneurysm clips
- Cochlear implants
- A neuro-stimulator (Tens-unit)
- Metal implants
- Steel surgical staples or clips
- An implanted drug infusion device
- Any implant made partially or wholly of iron or steel
- if you’re pregnant, let the doctor know.
Even metal objects not made of iron or steel can interfere with the exam – so don’t bring any of the following into the examination room (a secure place to store your valuables will be provided):
- Dentures or partial plates
- Hearing aids
Magnetic waves can also erase the code on bank cards and credit cards, so don’t bring your credit or bank cards into the MRI examination room. They should be stored in the locked change room we provide to you. You will be asked to change into scrubs that we will provide for your comfort and convenience during the examination.